This is a fantastic option if there are teenagers in the household. They love them!
Keep in mind, this is not a very fast recipe, but it does have a BIT advantage. It needs very little supervision. You put the pork and other ingredients in a slow cooker or in a regular pot at a very low temperature. Then, you let it cook for 2-3 hours. there is no need to stir or anything!
It can also be made in a very large portion and then you can freeze it in smaller portions for later use.
I use this one when I know I have a road trip coming up or when I know it’s going to be a grab and go kind of week.
- 3 pounds boneless pork shoulder roast
- 1 ½ cup cubed carrots
- 1 ½ cup chopped leek
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 can of dark beer
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoon mustard
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup honey (or sweetener)
- 3 tablespoon of brown sugar
- ½ cup water
- Salt and pepper
- Heat a deep pot at high temperature.
- Add the olive oil and the pork.
- Seal the sides until you get a nice brown/golden color on the sides.
- Lower the temperature of the pot (or change the pork to a slow cooker) to low.
- Pour all the ingredients over the pork.
- Cover with lid or close the slow cooker.
- Cook for 2-3 hours on medium heat.
- Check the amount of liquid at 1:30 hours, if it’s too dry, add some water.
- Remove pork from heat.
- Transfer the vegetables and liquid into a blender machine, and blend until smooth.
- Shred pork using two forks or your hands.
- Mix with the vegetable sauce and adjust with salt, pepper or brown sugar (depending if you want it sweeter).
Serve the pulled pork with burger buns, lettuce or arugula, sliced tomatoes, and onions. Add your favorite BBQ sauce.
If you’d like, you can also add a bit of BBQ sauce to the pulled pork to enhance flavor.